Senior Move Manager® - Certified
- NASMM'S Senior Move Manager®-Certified (SMM-C) is the ONLY certification program designed exclusively for Senior Move Managers®.
- The SMM-C is the only credential based upon both knowledge and experience.
- Additionally, the SMM-C is the only certification program for Senior Move Mangers® offered by a professional, non-profit trade association.
Why You Should Pursue the SMM-C
- Professional certification serves as a mark of professional achievement.
- In a market requiring skilled professionals, certification distinguishes you from your competition, providing you with market advantage.
- Certification exemplifies an expanded knowledge of essential operation and client service issues unique to Senior Move Management.
- Certification provides an extra measure of credibility and authority both within and outside the profession.
- Certification demonstrates to your clients and referral sources you are committed to professional development.
Knowledge + Experience = SMM-C
The SMM-C combines the successful completion of nine (9) rigorous, competency-based courses along with our basic Cornerstone Courses (required of ALL members).
SMM-C Knowledge Requirements:
Four (4) NASMM Cornerstone Courses (required of ALL members):
- Ethics & Accountability
- The Moving Industry 101
- Contracts and Liability
Nine (9) Additional Certification Courses for the SMM-C Certification (coming soon!):
- Before They Call You
- It's Real: Relocation Stress Syndrome
- Managing Client Expectations
- Client's Physical and Cognitive Needs: Enhance Your Approach
- Let It Go! The Psychology of Holding Family Treasures
- Communicating with Our Most Difficult Clients
- This Chair Rocks with Ashton Applewhite
- Using a Positive Approach to Dementia Care
- Is It Chronic Disorganization or Hoarding
SMM-C Experience Requirements:
- Proof of forty (40) invoiced Senior Move Management projects. Upon purchasing the SMM-C application, you will be provided access to an Excel spreadsheet which requires you to document the following:
- Project Start Date
- Project End Date
- Customer Last Name
- Job Location Zip
- Total Hours
- Services Provided (must include at least two of the following:
- Space Planning
- Arranging for Disposition of Possessions
- Move Management
- Aging in Place Services
- Resettling New Home
- Application Fee:
- NASMM Member: $399 (3-year certification)
- Non-Member: $699 (3-year certification)
Cornerstone Course Fees:
- NASMM Members: $69 per course or $189 for the 4-course bundle
- Non Members: $169 per course - no bundled option
NASMM Certification Courses
- NASMM Members: $59 per course or $295 for the nine (9) course bundle.
- Non Members: $99 per course
The new certification courses will be available in late January. Check back for more information.
- $299 every three (3) years
1. CE Renewal Requirements (over the three year renewal)
a. If you are renewing in 2021 you need 9 CE hours
b. If you are renewing in 2022 CE requirements increase to 20 hours
c. If you are renewing in 2023 CE requirements increase to 30 hours
d. If you are renewing in 2024 CE requirements increase to 45 hours
2. CEs must be a minimum of 30 minutes as a baseline, and then can be counted in 15 minute increments (e.g., 45 minutes, 1hour 15 minutes). This metric is based on the idea that one continuing education unit is equivalent to one hour of education.
3. Accepted CEs may be any of the following:
a. NASMM conference session attendance
b. Watching NASMM conference recordings
c. Any NASMM online course offering
d. Outside organizations’ live presentations or online courses in the following topics
i. Leadership (including finance, hr, employment issues, marketing and sales, process improvement)
ii. Move management (including downsizing, organizing, packing, decorating, working with movers and other vendors, alternative revenue streams)
iii. Aging topics
v. Client communication and interactions
e. Proof of CEs, course completion or attendance should be submitted; if not, notes from coursework could serve as proof of attendance
f. Presentations given by the SMM-C requesting renewal receive double credit value. (e.g., an SMM-C presenting a one-hour webinar (on behalf of NASMM) will earn 2.0 credits towards SMM-C renewal, rather the attendee value of 1.0 credit.)
4. 25 units of the 45 required CEs must be obtained directly from NASMM conferences or courses.